This article is about a wonderful encounter that began with watermelon and a great summertime recipe. I had been working on a luxury cruise line and we docked, one beautiful August morning in Piraeus, the port city of Athens, Greece. I was ashore by 11:30 a.m. It was a very warm morning and I was heading to a local farmer’s market. The market was full of some absolutely beautiful fruits and vegetables. I found a watermelon vendor and purchased my prized slice of refreshing watermelon and sat down to enjoy it.
What happened next was incredible and a true eye-opening life experience. You can read all about it by clicking the link at the end of this article. But, for now, venture below for my refreshing version of a Greek-style watermelon and feta salad. This watermelon salad is perfect for a light lunch on a hot summer day. Enjoy!
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 1 Tablespoon – balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons – orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 3 Tablespoons – extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- 700 g ( 25 oz ) – watermelon
- 200 g ( 7oz ) – feta cheese
- 4 leaves ( medium ) – fresh mint or basil (I prefer mint)
- Pour the vinegar, orange juice, salt, and pepper into a small jar or bottle. Then add the oil. Close and shake well.
- Trim and deseed the melon. Keep only the very red part of the watermelon and cut it into medium-sized pieces.
- Cut the feta into medium-diced pieces.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with the dressing. Adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving.
- At service time, chiffonade the basil or mint leaves and toss through the salad.
- Serve immediately
Click here to read the full story about Watermelon and Smiles in Greece. It’s sure to make you smile!
“DESIGN YOUR DISH ~ DESIGN YOUR LIFE.”