‘Winter is coming’ – you might remember these words if you are a Game of Thrones fan. If you are planning for a camping trip with your loved ones or even going on a solo trip, even then you should know what winter season is all about as far as camping is concerned.
A number of people still believe that camping is perfect for summer or spring seasons – not true at all! Winter camping can be as therapeutic and peaceful as going into the woods during the summers.
All you need to make sure is that you have the right winter camping gear which normally includes a winter camping tent with stove jack, winter sleeping bag, food supplies, camping stove, safety equipment, etc. However, selecting the right stove jack winter tent might not be as easy as it might seem.
In this guide, we will make your life somewhat easier in this regard.
What is a Stove Jack?
A stove jack is a small outlet that is designed in a camping tent in order to accommodate a stovepipe or a chimney to pass through so that the smoke from the stove can be directed outside the tent.
Winter camping tents with stove jacks are made from fire-resistant or melt-proof materials.
Benefits of Winter Tent with a Stove Jack
One of the major benefits of having a stove jack in your tent is that you can use your stove inside without having to worry about the amount of smoke it will create. It is not always about cooking food, you might also want to use it for drying wet clothes, making a cup of Joe, boiling water, etc.
Another benefit of a stove jack winter tent is that since these types of tents are usually treated with flame retardants or silicon in order to make them fire-resistant, they add more to overall safety in case of any fire-related accidents.
In addition to this, stove jack tents can come in quite handy when the weather outside gets snowy or rainy during your camping. You don’t want to get all drenched in a cold winter day or night, only because you had to use your stove to cook food or boil water.
What Should You Look for in a Winter Tent?
For a winter tent with a stove jack, you need to keep the following points in mind:
- Since the purpose of these tents is to allow you to put the stove inside, you need to make sure the material from which the tent is made is 100% fire-resistant and will not melt.
- Ideally, canvas is used for these types of tents, although it is somewhat heavy, especially if you are planning to cover most of your camping trip with a backpack. Alternatively, nylon tents can be used, however, nylon catches fire easily so you have to be extra careful about this.
- Another factor that you need to consider is whether you should go for a tent with a stove jack on the top VS the sidewall. Usually, it is better to go with a tent that has the stove jack at the top and pointing straight up – smoke exits the tent better this way.
Here are some other important factors that apply on all types of winter tents (with or without a stove jack):
- If your camping destination or route has a snowy weather forecast, you would want to go with a more light-weighted tent that has sloping sides so that the snow keeps sliding down without adding unwanted weight to the central frame of the tent. If it is a dry, flat ground, then you can go with a more spacious winter tent.
- Another important factor to look for is the overall strength of the tent in terms of fabric and central frame. Tent materials that are treated with water-resistant coating tend to withstand windy and wet conditions better than those which aren’t.
Best Winter Camping Tents to Buy in 2020
Here are some of the best winter camping tents that we have compiled for your next winter camping trip:
MoKo Waterproof Family Camping Tent
Spring, summer, autumn, or snow – this is a 4-season affordable tent that comes with three fiberglass poles, 21 metal pegs and 6 ropes to withstand tough weather or terrain conditions.
With an easy-to-setup process, it is ideal for 2-3 persons. However, it is quite less durable and reliable under extreme weather conditions.
PlayDo 4-Season Waterproof Cotton Canvas Bell Tent
When searching for the best winter camping tents, you will come across a lot of options by this brand – PlayDo.
They manufacture perfect, 4-season waterproof tents that have a stove vent on the top instead of inside-wall. Made of 300gsm cotton fabric, these tents are made to withstand winds, rains and snow to a greater extent.
Russian-Bear Heavy-Duty Camping Tent
If you are planning to make a long-term investment in your camping tent – whether summers or winters – the Russian-Bear 4-season camping tent is one of the best options available in the market today.
Although it comes with a high price tag, this tent is certainly the right value for the money in terms of durability, reliability, performance and safety. The warm wood stove is specifically designed in accordance with all the four seasons.
Moreover, this tent offers a combo package that includes a tent, floor and a stove.
Our Final Thoughts on Winter Camp Tents
While there are a lot of options that you might see in this product niche today, it is advised that you do your research well in regard to factors such as your personal preferences, camping terrain and weather conditions, your budget, etc.
Going for a winter camp tent with a stove jack will make your camping trip a lot easier and fun – particularly if you are faced with torrential rains or snow. Other factors that you need to keep in mind are the weight of the tent, ease-of-setup, capacity, etc.
Enjoy your next winter camping!