If you bring up sex toys in casual conversation, you might get a couple of laughs or even an awkward stare, and yet they’re some of the most commonly used items around—we just don’t tend to take them seriously! While the idea of some guy ordering an item called the “Master Bang Machine 5000” is honestly somewhat amusing, there actually is a lot of practical benefits to these types of products once you look beyond the humor. Whether you’re currently single or in a relationship, it’s worth looking into the wide variety of sex toys for men and women to find something perfect for your situation. Of course, most people use their hands before graduating to a toy, so that’s where we’ll start our journey today: manual masturbation!
The Benefits of Masturbation
As a child, you might have heard rumors that masturbation could cause weird things to happen such as excessive hair growth or genital deformities. Fortunately, these claims are far from the truth, which is good news because most people masturbate! Masturbation actually has a variety of health benefits including:
- Stress reduction
- Improved sleep
- Relief from sexual tension
- Muscle tension reduction
Of course, masturbation also gives you the chance to explore your own body and find out what you like (as well as what you don’t!). This is important information, whether you’re currently in a relationship or still playing the field. You’ll quickly become the master of your own body, but after a while, manual masturbation can seem more like a chore than an enjoyable activity. This is where sex toys can come in handy!
Using Sex Toys On Your Own
It doesn’t matter if you’re single or not: you can always use a toy on your own! Choosing your first toy can seem like an intimidating process, but thanks to all the reviews available online, you should be able to get some high-quality recommendations in no time. Reading reviews is a great way to learn more about the pros and cons of each toy, allowing you to steer clear of lesser products with ease. If you’ve had intercourse before then you should have an idea of the size of toy you’ll need; if not, you might want to whip out the measuring tape!
Using Sex Toys As a Couple
Sex toys for women and men can add a lot to your current sex life. Implementing toys allows you to stimulate your partner (or yourself!) in different ways during foreplay, enhance intercourse, or even complete your roleplaying fantasies! These are especially great for couples who want to experience a “threesome” without the complications of adding a third person to the mix. Many men (and women) also enjoy watching their partner use the toys on themselves, which can be a great way to get naughty while maintaining complete control of your individual experience. When it comes to using sex toys as a couple, the sky is the limit: just use your imagination!
Purchasing Your First Sex Toy: Important Considerations
Hopefully, you’ve seen the light when it comes to sex toys for men and women! Yes, they can be funny to talk about, but—when it comes down to it—they also provide an easy way to enhance all types of sexual experiences. If you’re ready to take your sex life then it’s time to purchase your first toy, but you don’t want to blindly purchase the first toy that comes up. Here are a few things you’ll want to consider when choosing a toy
- Ease of use – Basic toys like dildos or strokers are almost self-explanatory, but more advanced toys might actually require you to read the directions! You’ll also want to consider the prep required (such as lube, batteries, heating, etc.) before use.
- Required maintenance – Most toys require at least some form of cleaning/maintenance. Take a look at the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance suggestions to get an idea of what your new toy will require moving forward. It might be tempting to skip this step, but sex toys can easily collect bacteria if left unwashed, so maintenance is very important!
- Storage – Most online sex shops offer discreet shipping so you won’t need to worry about the label revealing your new toy, but—depending on your current living situation—storage may or may not pose a problem. Smaller toys can easily be hidden amongst your belongings but larger toys can be very hard to conceal. Make sure you have the space to properly store your new toy before purchasing it.
- Limitations – Each sex toy will come with its own unique set of limitations, whether they be by design or by function. This can make it tempting to purchase the “best” toy right from the get-go, but there’s no need—you can always upgrade in the future! For now, just find something with good reviews that seems like it will meet your specific needs, wait impatiently for the mail to arrive, and enjoy your new sex toy!