Saint Paddy’s Day, offers everyone a chance to be Irish for a day. Additionally, it’s a day when many families across America make a traditional Irish dish called Corned Beef, and Cabbage. Many people really enjoy this dish and others do not, but in any case, it surely welcomes Saint Patrick’s Day year after year. You can serve this corned beef and cabbage dish with Irish soda bread. The Saint Patrick’s Day soda bread recipe here is more traditional and is not sweet or contains any raisins. It is a savory bread and it is a great accompaniment to this dish. Who knows maybe late at night a few friendly Leprechauns might come knockin’ on your door!
Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day!
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) corned beef brisket (seasoning packet included with the purchase of the corned beef) Or you can quickly make your own seasoning ( recipe below )
- 1 green cabbage, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or about 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 onion ( peeled and rough chopped )
- Put ingredients into a cheesecloth that’s tied closed. This will allow the removal of the aromatics easily.
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Place carrots and potatoes in a 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Place corned beef on top and sprinkle with a seasoning packet or a homemade version.
- Add apple juice and water.
- Cover and cook on a low setting for 6 hours. Add cabbage and continue cooking for another 1 to 2 hours, or until beef and cabbage are tender. Remove beef, potatoes, and vegetables to a platter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.