“God hates me.”
Anytime anything ever went wrong in my life, that’s the excuse I’d scream out loud to justify it. I was in a constant state of complaining, feeling sorry for myself, and letting even the littlest bit of negativity completely consume me.
I cried over everything, stayed up so many nights stressing, and had an overwhelming feeling of anxiety at all times. I felt like a prisoner in my own mind with toxic thoughts tying me down, unsure how to break free. I was drowning in self-doubt, desperately wondering when it would be my time to have happiness, when finally the best realization I’ve ever had came over me — no one was going to come and hand me happiness. It was in my hands, and had been all along.
And, guess what?! Your happiness is in your hands too! It’s time to get a grip on it.
To be honest, I don’t know what made the lightbulb go off in my head, but every day since, I’ve been nothing but thankful it did. Sure, bad things are bound to happen. But it’s up to you to make the best of them; maybe you can’t escape the bad, but you can always embrace the good.
Here are some happy thoughts that you need to start thinking (and doing):
- No matter what’s going wrong in your life, I promise there are a million more things going right. Focus on those.
- Realize how temporary life is. What ever you’re going through, it will pass. It isn’t forever. Nothing in this world is.
- Know that your mentality really does become your reality. You control how you view the world. Choose to see the best in it.
- Know that making yourself sick over a situation will do nothing to help solve it. Do everything in your power to accept things for what they are.
- Know that you have the choice to drown in self-pity or push through your problems. Please choose to push through them. You can do it.
- Know your worth.
- Know that you’re enough and never allow anyone the power to make you feel like you’re less than that. You’re not.
- Know that having a positive outlook can take you to all of the places you’d never thought you’d go.
- Know that you deserve to be there.
So that is our #WisdomWednesday wrap up. Whatever you do, don’t forget that happiness is a choice and you owe it to yourself to choose it every day.