It seems that the classic red lips and winged liner have never been out of style. Jason Wu nailed the red lips trend on the New York Fashion Week runway epitomizing the beauty of dewy skin, minimalist eyes, and natural yet defined red lips. This combination is not only a throwback to eras past but goes hand in hand with this Fall’s color inspiration: deep red.
Here are my tips and tricks to achieve this runway look:
- Always start with prepping your skin. Start by applying your moisturizer then apply illuminating primer to achieve the dewy skin look. My favorite illuminating primer is Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance.
- After you are done with the primer, apply your foundation. I always recommend Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation because it has the perfect dewy finish. However, if who have combination to oily skin, semi-matte foundation like Makeup Forever HD Foundation is your best pick.
- Conceal your under eye bags with your favorite concealer. My personal favorite is Sonia Kashuk Liquid Concealer. I love blending and applying concealer using my hands. My body temperature helps the concealer to blend more, leaving my under eyes with natural finish without feeling too cakey.
- Never forget to apply powder to set your makeup, especially for your T-zone area. Use a brush to apply. My favorite product is Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder.
- Keep your eye makeup simple. For me, I just curl my lashes and apply lots of mascara. Then, I brush up the eyebrows using Brow Fix from Anastasia.
- Start highlighting and contouring your face. Highlighting is really important for this trend. Use MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Soft and Gentle to highlight, and contour your face using Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer.
- Your look is almost done! The most important part: lip color. To achieve natural red lips, I start by lining the lips using Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella and then fill in using lip stain. My favorite red lip stain is YSL Vernis A Levres Glossy Stain in Corail Fauve.
P.S.: you can skip the lip pencil if you feel that you want your red lips to look more natural. Apply the lip stain on the center of your lips and you are done for the day!
While Jason Wu is killing the red lips on his models for NYFW 2016, Taylor Swift gorgeously owned the winged liner look for her appearance at the 2015 VMA’s. This winged liner trend will never go away (nor do we want it to!). Never be afraid to draw a bolder winged liner like Taylor Swift:
This bold liner trend can also be seen on Creatures of the Wind NYFW 2016 by Nars Cosmetics.
Tips to achieve perfect bold winged liner:
- Applying tape on the edge of your eyes as your guideline to apply your eyeliner really helps me achieve the perfect shape.
- Another trick that I always use is to apply liquid/gel black eyeliner using a slanted brush. This really helps me to achieve the perfect bold look.
- Also, don’t forget to apply the eyeliner thicker than you usually do. Be brave! Fill in the eyeliner all over your eyelid and dab powder on top of it to remove excess oil.
Like I said before, classic looks will never fade away, and indeed Jason Wu and Taylor Swift proved this again with a braver and more sophisticated touch. People try to tell you that you need to choose between either a bold eye with nude/plain lip color OR simple eye makeup with bold red lips. However, if you feel you can pull off both looks together don’t be afraid to combine both trends like Nars did at Creature of the Wind S/S 2016 runway show. This especially works if you are wearing simple outfit – make the makeup the star!