First and foremost, we cannot equate SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to advertising even though end results are the same. SEO will cost you time and money for sure. If you don’t have a big advertising budget then you can think of hiring an SEO firm to improve your search engine rankings. Well, we present a few DIY SEO techniques that you can try to improve the rankings of your website.
- Keyword research is an art you must master if you wish to improve the rankings of your website.
- Keyword research is not a complicated process; there is no need for you to complicate it. It is important to know what the market wants.
- By doing keyword research, you will try to assess the needs of the customers. This will help you to deliver whatever your customers are looking for.
- There are plenty of keyword research tools out there. You should try one of those tools to do effective keyword research.
Know your rivals
It is important to study your rivals. You can do a Google search for the product/service that you offer. Take a look at the top search results – they are your competition. You need to find out what they are doing right as you are going to emulate the same. You should look for companies with a similar business model. After visiting their website you have to analyze their success model. Which areas are they good at? Do they have some themes that you don’t have? Is there a marked difference in the way they have constructed their website? What about the features they have on their website which you don’t have? You need to find answers to all these questions so that you can help yourself. What you are actually doing is understanding the competition which is a useful technique. We also recommend having a look at the social media platforms of your rival in order to get a better idea.
Designing the website
The design of the website is really important too. Once you have identified the most important keywords and what your customers are looking for, you need to provide the same on all the pages. It is important to stay organized. You may want to use an SEO company for this. You can also take the help of an excel document. This will help you to analyze what works and what doesn’t. You can do a little bit of experimentation on your part. You should play around with various keywords to see what works and what doesn’t. You need to omit the keywords that do not yield results.
- You need to remove all the distracting elements from the website.
- The content should be prepared for humans to read. You should not worry too much about the search engines.
- You need to come up with Meta descriptions that are relevant and unique.
- You need to link your website with other relevant websites in your field. However, you need to make sure that the sites are trustworthy. In short, do all the right things.